Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sterotyping Pygmies

"I don't want a Pygmy because they will have kidding complications."

"I don't like Pygmies because they always have kidding problems."

"I could never own a Pygmy, especially since they never produce alot of milk!"

ALL of the above can be true. But mostly are generally NOT true. Most Pygmy Goats do NOT have troubles kidding if they are vaccinated and fed correctly throughout pregnancy. They generally do not have more problems than other breeds. But you must take very good care of the does during pregnancy. No more than 1 cup of grain a day, and no less than 1/4 of a cup. I generally like to give mine about 1/2 to 3/4 to ensure nice sized kids. Not to big to get stuck and not to small to be stillborn.

And the comment on production is falicious also. Pygmy Goats CAN produce alot of milk. Some do not. It is not the breed, it is the idividual goat.

It is also common knowledge that FULL blooded Pygmies can not be solid white, have blue eyes, or be naturally disbudded.

If anyone has any questions, contact me.
Otherwise, best of luck in finding you "perfect" pygmy.

2 comments:

  1. one of my only real pygmy goats was the biggest producer I have had mini goat wise. My other pygmy goat had the tiniest udder and gave so little. Yup it totally depends on the goat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of myths about a lot of breeds of goats! Thanks for the info on pygmy goats.

    ReplyDelete